Thursday, December 15, 2005

Story Time (it's long and will put you to sleep) - L'Heure d'une Histoire (c'est longue et va te faire dormir)

So here we are - Dec. 15 - and I am finally, after many discussions deliberating about delay, posting my second post. Today marks a special day for many reasons. 1) My old post reached 25 comments, thus I am writing this second post, and 2) I talked with someone from France in France and in French for the first time in about a year. I was quite an experience. Yesterday at work, my supervisor told me that we have an invoice that we need to pay and that we have had some trouble communicating with the vendor - the French vendor. All previous attempts had failed - whether from the language barrier or the long distance separating us, I don't know. But I do know that I am the only one that speaks French in my department and they decided to utilize that asset. So after she broke the news to me, I was excited and nervous. It was hard to get to sleep last night.

SIDE NOTE: Have you ever tried to go to bed at 7:30pm? I did it this past week or so and I must admit - it is quite nice. Pulling on some nice warm socks and bundling up in the covers. Socks are a necessity and I can't sleep with my feet exposed - hence one of the reasons why I am looking forward to McSomethingkins' Christmas present. Thanks in advance, Something.

So I wake up this morning and riffle through my French/English dictionary looking for words I might have to use. I end up bringing it with me to work. I show up 10 minutes early and listen to the French radio just to make sure that I haven't forgotten what it sounds like (that really didn't help because it was news radio and they were talking about something way over my head like politics or something just as annoying that I know little about and even littler French vocabulary). So I give up on that just as my supervisor shows up and says we should get started. So we sit down at the phone and realize that we don't know how to call France. So we spend five minutes trying to figure it out from experimentation, on-line sources, and the University's help line. So we figure it out and dial the number. This lady answers with one of those unreal voices that seem like you are calling some infomercial or talking to an airline stewardess. She was uncannily nice and very clear. The conversation goes fine until we get close to the end and she rattles something off that I am sure she has repeated a million times like she is a car insurance representative or something. I missed it - and all those lessons I learned from the mission to ask if you don't understand something just flew out the window. Hopefully it was unimportant and we get a receipt in the mail.

27 comments:

Clark said...

let the countdown begin. (this one doesnt count by the way)

Something McSomethingkins said...

Are we going to 25 again? If so I might reconsider giving you your present, which I have by the way. When are you going to be around? You'll like this year's selection. How did the call actually go? You seem to have left that part out of it. Or I missed something because it is 4 in the morning and I haven't slept yet yesterday...or today. My back hurts.

Something McSomethingkins said...

That last one was long, and therefore was worth at least two.

Clark said...

It was surprisingly short. (so i think that the blog did a good job of illustrating the actual phone call. a lot of build up for not a lot of action. very anticlimactic) Dont you think 25 is a good reasonable number? I was debating with brett if i should raise it to fifty just to keep it a challenge. (plus i dont think i will have much internet access this christmas.) I dont know when i am coming back up but if you want me to come up i will. Just give my secretary a call.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Is your secretary "Mrs. Ripplinger" by any chance? You guys have to come up again soon. Think Nickelcade and Winder Dairy. Why are you in Provo this time of year anyway?

frogkisser said...

I agree. We need to do something to celabrate the end of finals tomorrow (Saturday). Nickelcade and Winder Dairy sound nice, especially since our house is off limits.

Aaron said...

Umm not that I'm at all protesting, but shouldn't Clark and I be the ones suggesting things like Nickelcade? I can't say I knew either of you to have any interest in arcade games.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Dude, you should have seen us at Vegas on racing the horses. And for your information I grew up in a house full of video games, considering my brother owned everything that ever came out it seems. And more than that, I like miniature staplers.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I especially like the virtual reality tekken. But I can't do anything Saturday, because I have a family Christmas party. Unless you want to do it extremely late. And Winder Dairy would be closed. It makes me sad there's only one saturday a week, and I work this one.

frogkisser said...

We can do the Nicklecade thing next Tuesday after 8, or next Thursday. But, we should still do something fun tonight sans Melissa.

Something McSomethingkins said...

sans is a fun word. I like using it, and hearing it being used, although I don't know how much I like hearing it used to disclude me.

frogkisser said...

Well, you disincluded yourself! You are sealed to your family, which means that you need to spend more time with us!!!!

frogkisser said...

Where is McSomethingkins cameo?

Something McSomethingkins said...

I think that would be the socks part, though rather short.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Clark, you're a punk.

Something McSomethingkins said...

And I still have your socks. They play music we discovered, quite accidentally.

frogkisser said...

I wouldn't be suprised if Clarkie could reach the very high notes that those socks hit.

frogkisser said...

We are already on 18! You better be thinking of another wild and crazy story!

Something McSomethingkins said...

And it'd better involve pretzels!

Something McSomethingkins said...

Unless it doesn't.

frogkisser said...

Pretzels are wonderful if they are chocolate covered.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I agree. I really like the large soft cinnamon covered ones you get at the mall too. They use confectioners' sugar, which is somewhere in between regular sugar, and powdered sugar. Wait, maybe it's called bakers' sugar. Whatever it is, it's good.

frogkisser said...

I thought that confectioner's sugar was powdered sugar. Hmmmmm. Now I want a pretzel from the mall. Maybe whilst I am shopping!

Something McSomethingkins said...

It might be. Maybe it's baker's sugar, but that's a stupid name, and it is definately different. My sister buys it, and it's easier to dissolve in stuff when you're cooking.

Something McSomethingkins said...

So this is 25, even not counting your first post, because my first post counted as two.

Something McSomethingkins said...

But just in case...

frogkisser said...

I'll throw another one in for good measure:)