Saturday, December 31, 2005

Where do garter belts come from?

So, I am at a certain holiday party at a certain someone's house, who will not be living at this certain house for much longer because the lease is almost up, and a certain someone pretty forced me to update my blog after I so lovingly frosted his/her eclaires. But being forced isn't so bad a thing. For one thing, I update my blog. Secondly, I rediscovered my blog's password that I will most likely forget again sometime in the near future. Thank goodness for technology.
So we, and when I say we I mean those who were with me and myself including the eclair-making, blog updating enforcer, were at a certain someone's wedding reception, who married a certain someone who a certain someone else has a lot of good stories about which include what this certain someone else thinks is wearing in the wedding photos and what this person dropped in the reception line at the wedding, when a question came up about garter belts. Silly me and my nonsensical nature got curious about the origin of the tradition of flinging the garter and posed the question that is now the title of my blog, "Where do garter belts come from?" This statement didn't exactly match my ponderings but when one is deep in thought, one cannot be expected to speak as fluently as his/her thoughts are flowing. In response, I recieved a wide array of snappy retorts. "Garter belt heaven," and "Well, when two garter belts love each other very much" where the responses that got the most laughter. But nothing leaves an imprint on our minds like the story that the certain someone else previously mentioned told about how much he/she loves the color purple.
Since I am at a party and since forced results are never as good as those carefully and creatively planned over time, I think I will conclude the ramblings of the evening. Sorry for the lack of french vocabulary. How'bout I just give you a french proverb and create a race to see who can give me the correct equivalent expression in english. Here we go.

Vouloir est Pouvoir.

Good luck! Bon chance!

44 comments:

Clark said...

I hope you all appreciated the anonymity.

Something McSomethingkins said...

yes, that was very nice. There should have been "..." after the "two garter belts" thing though.

frogkisser said...

I can give you the translations of those verbs, but I don't think it equals a proverb. "To want is to be able" is all I can gather from that.
The ritual of the garter belt dates back to a time when woman wore hose with a garter belt. It was a chance for the single men to share in the good fortune of the groom. Today, it is believed that the man who catches the garter when it is thrown will be the next to marry. In the 14th century, is was customary for the bride to toss her garter to the men, but sometimes the men got too drunk, and would become impatient and try to take the garter off her ahead of time. It got to be less trouble for her just to toss the bridal bouquet

frogkisser said...

Also, it symbolizes the "deflowering of the bride." Just so ya know. Betcha you will never try to catch the garter again!:)

frogkisser said...

I should have broken that really long comment up, since we are trying to reach 25.

Angie said...

My favorite part about you four "certain someones" going to the wedding reception of another "certain someone" is the part about the "certain someone" who the previous "certain someone" married dropped the "condominium". Tee hee. What a sucker.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Smooth move with that last comment Exlax.

frogkisser said...

So... Still can't think of what phrase that could be. Gimme a hint:)

Angie said...

This is all the comments we have?

Angie said...

I had fun with you on (an appropriately named) "fun day". I hope you are still coming to my work tomorrow. Please say you are.

frogkisser said...

10? That's it? I am saddened.

Angie said...

Well, now it's 12. what do we have to get to again?

frogkisser said...

25. I think most of us are kind of bored now. Clark's life isn't that interesting....:)

Something McSomethingkins said...

13 isn't nearly enough, although Clark not having the internet makes it hard to get inspiration enough to comment. Wait, do you have the internet now that you're back at school?

frogkisser said...

I am pretty sure that they do since Aaron was using it when we were there on Saturday:)

Something McSomethingkins said...

Clark, you slacker!

Clark said...

Just because i dont comment on my own blog doesnt mean that i am a slacker. You goons. I think you tricked me into responding to that just so that you could get another comment towards you 25. You are the slackers.

Something McSomethingkins said...

Please, we comment on a stale blog. Now that's dedication my friend.

frogkisser said...

Agreed again.

frogkisser said...

And you never comment on our blogs! What a nerd!:)

Something McSomethingkins said...

That was an interesting comment you left on Paige's blog my friend. But I think feline aids is entirely relevant.

frogkisser said...

I don't think that comment will hold you over the entire semester my friend. Nice try though.

Angie said...

I think you should have to comment on all our blogs at least every other blog.

Angie said...

Did that even make sense? I must let you know I have only about 4 hours of sleep under my belt in the last 48 hours. I think this is 25. Thank heaven seven eleven.

frogkisser said...

Lack of sleep is a fun thing... We made it! I am so excited!

Something McSomethingkins said...

You're due. So where is it?

Something McSomethingkins said...

You're due. So where is it?

Something McSomethingkins said...

Crap...I pushed the button too hard.

Angie said...

You want to touch my buttons, don't you? That is a classic, McSomethingkins. I have to hand it to you...but alas, you are not here.

Again, sleep deprivation.

frogkisser said...

*Hums Jeopardy theme*

Angie said...

Wait! Where did you get a guitar?

frogkisser said...

Robert De Niro, Bella Lugosi, Snuffalupagos and Parker Posey.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I'm confused. Snuffalufagus gave you a guitar?

frogkisser said...

One time my friends and I were on this boat, and there was this guy who was all like "come to the back of the boat!"

Something McSomethingkins said...

Clark, if you don't write a new post soon, and count the last 10 comments on this post as part of the next one's 25, you don't get socks this next Christmas.

Angie said...

In DooRs

Something McSomethingkins said...

That's terrible.

Angie said...

but funny huh?

MDJ said...

@frogkisser: your translation is correct--vouloir does mean "to want" and pouvoir does mean "to be able"; however, a better way of putting it in English is where there's a will, there's a way
@clark: those two phrases are actually spelled vouloir, c'est pouvoir and bonne chance--just FYI

frogkisser said...

Thanks great-grandpa:)

MDJ said...

Pas de quoi, ma petite-fille!

Something McSomethingkins said...

Great Grandpa?

frogkisser said...

Yeah, cause MDJ is really old:)

Clark said...

Okay okay, i made some spelling errors. It was 11:00 on new years eve! No one is thinking clearly at that point in time. Everyone is so worried about whether they are getting any "action" in an hour. Thinks like french grammar are trivial when put in that light. But thanks for the tip. And you win! And I think people will like your comment just because it got me to make a comment on my own blog after two and a half months.